A quick look at historical events that took place in 1912:
January 1 republic of china is proclaimed
• January 4 – The Scout Association is incorporated throughout the British Commonwealth by Royal Charter.
• March 1 – Albert Berry makes the first parachute jump from a moving airplane.
• March 5 – Italian forces are the first to use airships for a military purpose, using them for reconnaissance west of Tripoli behind Turkish lines.
• April 14 RMS Titanic collides with an iceberg and sinks
• April 16 – Harriet Quimby becomes the first woman to fly across the English Channel.
• May 5 – The Olympic Games open in Stockholm, Sweden.
• May 13 – In the United Kingdom, the Royal Flying Corps (forerunner of the Royal Air Force) is established.
• May 23 – The Hamburg America Line’s SS Imperator is launched in Hamburg and is the world’s largest ship.
• June 4 – A fire in Istanbul destroys 1,120 buildings.
• June 5 – U.S. Marines land in Cuba.
• July 12 – United States release of Sarah Bernhardt’s film Les Amours de la reine Élisabeth is influential on the development of the movie feature. Adolf Zukor, who incorporates Paramount Pictures on May 8, 1914, launches his company as the distributor. Paramount celebrates its centennial in 2012.
• July 30 – Emperor Meiji of Japan dies. He is succeeded by his son Yoshihito who becomes Emperor Taishō. In Japanese History, the event marks the end of the Meiji era and the beginning of the Taishō era.
• August 12 – Sultan Abd Al-Hafid of Morocco abdicates.
• August 25 – The Kuomintang, the Chinese nationalist party, is founded.
• October 8 – The First Balkan War begins: Montenegro declares war against Turkey.
• October 16 – Bulgarian pilots Radul Minkov and Prodan Toprakchiev perform the first bombing with an airplane in history, at the railway station of Karaagac near Edirne against Turkey.
• October 18 – Italy and the Ottoman Empire signed a treaty in Ouchy near Lausanne ending the Italo-Turkish War.
• November 28 – Albania declares independence from the Ottoman Empire.